Monday, December 10, 2007

When the going gets tough...

I'll admit it. I'm not having much fun, stuck in a hotel room in Tulsa. I'm watching boring TV, doing work and definitely missing my family. Steve told Jack that my plane was stuck, and Jack was coming up with solutions to fix it. "Then it won't be stuck anymore, Mommy!"

I have no idea when I'll get home. I'd like to get home tomorrow, but there's no telling. It's crummy.

But you know what? It could be worse. There are thousands of people who are out of power right now while I'm sitting in a warm hotel room with cable and Internet. Hundreds of trees have been destroyed, many falling into houses or crashing into cars. Lots of people are in shelters, unsure of when they'll be going back to their homes.

But most of all, I'm safe. One of my good friends from high school (and college roommate for a while) lost her parents to a car accident because of this nasty weather. It really puts things into perspective for me and gives me very little to whine about.

They were helpful, loving people, and my thoughts and prayers go out to the family. There are no words that can ease the pain of this type of loss, so I won't try. But I will definitely be sending out some prayers from my little hotel room in Tulsa. For Emily, her family and all the others who are affected by this crazy weather. May you have strength and courage to make it through.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We all want you home safe and sound tomorrow. Once you're home, I hope you can still look back at this trip as an exciting adventure in your career as author. The first of many, I hope, and pretty soon people will be asking you to autograph your books!

shopaholicbabie said...

I'm glad you're safe, but I'm sorry that you're not home. I know you would rather be there.

Life does throw things at you that puts things into perspective, doesn't it? There's nothing we can say sometimes, but even if I can't come up with anything clever to say, I just like to let them know I'm there.

Be safe, and enjoy your alone time!!!!!