Sunday, March 02, 2008

Shopping for Shoes

I was in NYC last week briefly for a business conference. It's not like I do a lot of traveling for work like Steve does. In fact, this was my first business trip ever.

I settled into my hotel room by about 6. I briefly considered just staying in and relaxing, but then I realized there was no way I could do that. This way my only window of opportunity to be in NY before my flight home the next day. I love this place!

It was raining, so I popped open my umbrella and started walking. Soon, I realized that I was along Fashion Avenue near Madison Square Garden. Oooo, Fashion Avenue! Since it was crummy weather, I quickly took refuge in a Macy's store that was an entire block long and like five or six stories tall.

On the first level, there were all kinds of handbags and perfumes. For a few brief seconds, I thought about how cool it would be to buy a $200 or $300 purse from Macy's in NY, but then I came to my senses and starting hitting the sales racks in the clothing areas.

Oh my goodness....there were a lot of clothes to look at. It was insane! I ended up with a pair of jeans and a shirt. Then I asked someone where the shoes were. Level 5. I headed up to level 5 and started searching the sales racks, which is what most of the women there were doing. I found a couple of pairs that I really liked. Then I discovered the catch. They had one shoe out on the floor and its mate in the back. So here's how it worked: You find a shoe that you like and check with a salesperson to see if they have your size. Then if they do, the search is on. They can bring you half of your dream shoe, but you have to search the entire floor to find the other one in your size. This sounds easy, but it is not. I found some great 1/2 shoes that were amazing deals, but their mates were mysteriously missing in my size 9. I only spent about half an hour doing the shoe game before I called it quits. I decided it wasn't worth it after all.

My trip was quick, but I managed to squeeze in a little fun. Now I just want to go back to NYC for some good shoe shopping.

2 comments:

ashes ashes said...

This sounds like a great plan to sale shoes if you are a store. I would suggest a better plan.

Amber said...

I don't think Jared would trust me around $300 purses.