Monday, February 18, 2008

Up On My Soapbox

The headline is your warning. I'm about to rant about a few things, so get ready.

Jack has the flu. "What?!?" you might ask. "How could this be? Didn't he have a flu shot?" Well, yes. Yes he did. But somewhere in the fine print, I must have missed that you can still get the flu even if you have the flu shot. I feel so betrayed. Something about different strains of influenza A and influenza B. I don't know. I don't even want to know. I just want a moment to be upset because my baby has the flu, despite the fact that he got a flu shot! Thankfully, we've caught it early because it only started this morning. We have a fabulous doctor who even thought to test for flu (after the strep test was negative). Now we're on an antibiotic, and hopefully Jack will feel better soon. Poor kid. I've never seen him so sick.

So we went to pick up the meds, and the pharmacist informs me that we owe $50. Yeah, that's with our insurance. The fee without insurance is like $122! So this brings me to my next rant. Are you kidding me?!? I mean, seriously? This is a great example of why our country's health care system is screwed up. Luckily, we have very good health insurance. But what about the kids' parents who do NOT have good health insurance? I'm pretty sure a family on a tight budget is NOT going to shell out $122 for influenza meds. In fact, that family would probably never even make it to the doctor because a doctor's visit without health insurance is like $300 to $400. Instead, they'll probably end up in the emergency room once the flu is really horrible, at which the cost is thousands. Of course, taxpayers are the ones who absorb those costs, and the vicious cycle continues. Unfortunately, too many kids suffer because of this screwed up system. This is all I'm going to say on this topic, but I'll be voting in the Wisconsin primary tomorrow. You better believe I'll be voting for someone that has an actual health care plan. :)

I'll be staying home with Jack tomorrow, which brings me to my final rant. My company has this dumb sick policy that you can only take sick time for yourself. So, if your child is sick, you have to take a vacation day or have an understanding manager who will allow you to make up your hours at home or during the week. Thankfully, I have a very wonderful and understanding manager who had children herself, so I'll be working from home tomorrow. I don't mind this...I've always done some work at home when the kids are sick and I need to do stuff to stay caught up. But it's just the principle of the matter.

That's all my ranting for tonight. Don't get me wrong. I'm not always bitter. After all, we have meds, I get to vote tomorrow and I can do work from the luxury of my couch. But sometimes you just gotta let it out. :)

4 comments:

Amber said...

Oh, poor Jack!!! I live in constant fear of the flu. Not for myself, for the kids. I'm glad you have a good doctor!

And oh, again. Don't forget the initial cost of having a kid. I have a couple of self-employed friends, and their babies cost them a bundle!

ashes ashes said...

The law here is when you call in to work sick, they can't ask why. I thought it was everywhere, but I guess it is just OK. This is a pretty recent law, because they have had to change some policies since I started working at the station. They don't care who is sick when you call in, but legally they can't even ask. I think you job has the dumbest rule ever.

Hettie said...

$50?! Ouch! And of course that's on top of whatever you paid months ago for the flu shot (not to bring up another sore point).

And yah, it IS the dumbest rule ever.

Signed,
The "understanding manager"

shopaholicbabie said...

better to let it out than keep it in!!! i think it's great to rant. however, i hate the people that rant and don't vote. i think it's one's perrogative to vote or not. however, if they don't vote, they should not be allowed to complain OR rant. so in other words, i am positively glad that you rant AND vote!!!! go you!!!!